What’s so bad about sitting?
Diseases that are linked to excessive sitting
- Type 2 diabetes
- Certain cancers
- Early death
Sitting for long periods of time can slow down your metabolism and compromise your body’s ability to burn fat, and regulate blood sugar. Common forms of sitting include watching TV, internet use, office work, reading, driving, and riding the bus or train.
Tips to stop sitting (by age).
- Stand during your train or bus commute
- Use stairs over elevators and escalators
- Place your laptop on a work standing box
- Pace around while on the phone
- Combine a walk break with your coffee break
- Instead of emailing or texting a co-worker, walk over to their desk
- Replace TV watching with more active hobbies
- Play with your grandchildren
- Get active in your garden
- Do manageable housework
- Use the stairs when possible
Sick of sitting? Here are 10 GREAT REASONS TO START EXERCISING