Relax at Work in 5 minutes
It is very common to have stressful periods at work. One might even call these crazy days! As you know, when you are stressed, it is even harder to focus and be efficient. If you feel overwhelmed by events and your workload, it is time for a 5-minute break using your 5 senses.
After your break, you will still have many things to do, but you will feel calmer and be better able to tackle that to-do list.
Go ahead, set the timer on your phone for a 5-minute relaxation break.
Pillar: Relax your body
- Relax. Find a way to sit comfortably in your chair, seated in a good position. Plant your feet on the ground and rest your hands on your desk.
- Breathe. Do not think about complicated techniques, just take long and deep breathes, then slowly exhale. Repeat five times.
- Awaken your five senses. One by one, for around 1 minute each. Close your eyes and let’s go:
- Smell. Concentrate on the different scents around you. Can you smell the fresh air outside? Is there someone wearing perfume close by?
- Hearing. Focus on the sounds of your environment. Try not to judge the sounds; there are no bad or good sounds. They are just sounds. Try to individualise each sound, one by one and focus on it.
- Sight. Open your eyes and analyse the shapes, textures, and colours of your work place. Can you see different shades of colours? Is there a colour missing?
- Touch. Focus on the feeling of your hands on your desk. Can you feel the temperature and the texture? Concentrate on the pressure of your feet on the floor.
- Taste.If you have something to eat, take a bite and try to identify the different flavors. If you do not have something to eat, focus on the proper taste of your mouth. Move your tongue in your mouth and try to concentrate on the different feelings.
The 5-minute break is over now. Do you feel better? You will find it much easier to concentrate on your work now.